an inspired book
I recently finished this simple little project that I love and would recommend making one to anyone! It is a notebook/journal of sorts to specifically keep thoughts and ideas that inspire you.
Materials I used:
a variety of fun scrapbooking papers and pens
scrapbooking tape and spray adhesive
binder rings (these are cheap at office supply stores or you could use ribbon or other items)
8×8 chipboard book board (I had this on hand, but it could be easily done with cardstock or something like that)
a personal collection of inspiring things
I will be the first to admit that I made this much more complicated than it needed to be, but I loved every minute of it so I really dont care!
1. Select and organize papers for pages. This is where I only made my life more
challenging and fun. My chipboard was 8×8, but I mostly had 12×12 paper, so I selected the ones I wanted, put them in the perfect order and then measured and cut each one down to 8×8. A normal person would have gone to the store and purchased 8×8 papers. Whatever. Moving on.
The following two steps aren’t needed if you decide to use hole-punched page protectors, which of course I did not. If you are
less awesome smarter than me, skip to step 4.
2. Stick together. Because I wanted to create a book where I use both the front and back of pages and I did not want every other page to be white, my next step was sticking pages together. I laid everything out and flipped through it to make sure it was in the right order. Then, I used both scrapbook tape and spray adhesive to attach the pages.
3. Hole punch time. My next step was to hole punch all of the pages. I used the already hole-punched chipboard and a piece of cardstock to mark the hole placement, punched the holes in the cardstock and then used it as a guide to hole punch the rest of the pages. (Of note, probably also a little more complicated than needed, but, um I only had a single hole puncher…just trying to keep things simple here people)
4. Cover Creation. This part was really fun. I wanted my cover to be colorful and unique, so I glued a beautiful piece of scrapbook paper to the chipboard and then used letter stickers (different style and color for each letter) to spell out “inspired”. There is so much room for creativity on the cover!! I wanted to be sure that I wanted to pick it up when I saw it. 🙂
5. Putting it all together. The next step was collecting the book and cover together and getting it all lined up. Then I worked binder clips through the holes and, voila, the book had been created!
Of course, filling in the content is the last part of the process, which for me will be continual as I am treating it as a journal and book. However, I have used each page differently so far. Some I have handwritten. Others are more artsy. For some, I printed out content and attached it. My goal is to make it as inspiring to me as possible.
I hope you enjoy this idea! Please feel free to share ideas or photos if you make or have your own. 🙂
Posted on April 24, 2012, in diy projects, inspiration. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.
Leave a comment